23 Nov 2014

Week 8 at Ulovane

Our last Ulovane exam on mammals, animal behaviour and ecology is moved to the Wednesday due to our 2 days away last week. The last few days before that is a bit of a rush unfortunately as we felt we would've liked a bit more time to learn and research the incredibly interesting information about mammals and how to interpret their behaviour - it's amazing how much more you see and understand now that we've learnt why for instance you always see oxpeckers sitting on zebras (see below) and also why elephants touch each other with their trunks in a "greeting ceremony" - very moving to see it and understand what they're doing :)

 
 
 
After the test we were all told to wear old clothes and sent down the road to the dam (on the farm). We were very apprehensive and were promptly told we had to put our full head and hair in a massive bucket with elephant dung mixed with water to "rid us of our civilionship"! We couldn't believe that they were actually serious and only when the first victim actually went through with it did it start to sink in...! I never thought I would do something like that until Guy said it's just cereal mixed with water and then I remembered that Ellie dung is literally just branches, leaves and grass so I went ahead and did it! We also had to do a territorial animal cry and paint our faces with mud - I know it's hard to imagine, but it was really fun in the end, a bit like being back in University ;o)
 
On Friday, I was in the very first one of 2 to do our mock practical drives (with real guests!). We emailed our guests a few days before the drive to finalise times, find out about things like medical conditions, allergies, time limits ect. and then 7am Friday morning 14 of them arrived! It was very nerve wrecking and everyone looked at us with nervous faces when we returned (as they knew they would have to do it soon!). In the end I actually really enjoyed being out there and telling all the guests about all the things that we've learned in the past 8 weeks. We were lucky to get a lovely sunshine day and everyone had so much fun just being out there. Afterwards I had a 3 hour interview to start preparing us for the final FGASA exam in 2 weeks - I can't believe that this will all be over in 2 weeks!! We are also starting to find out about volunteering opportunities, placements and follow-on courses to do next year. I am hoping to do the Marine Guiding course in July next year and before that some volunteering :)
 


6 comments:

  1. I am sure the expression "bucket list" will have a new meaning for you! Well done. Good luck with the exams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you go girl!!! What a full week you had, so glad it all went well. The dung ceremony sounds pretty awesome. You'll never have to call yourself a civilion ever again!! Enjoy the rest of your course, can't believe time flying so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chrisel. I have so enjoyed reading your blog. What a fantastic (and hectic) time you are having. I can't believe you have had to learn so much in such a short time but you sound like you are a super star. Good luck for the last 2 weeks. I look forward to seeing more photo's and reading about your next adventure. x Jo (Graeme's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really battling to send a message for some reason. This is my fifth attempt! You would never have got me to put my head in that bucket! I admire your bravery. I hope you are offered a position somewhere where you can use all your new knowledge. We are just back from a week at a Sanparks resort in the Wilderness. It is very well managed with lovely accommodation although I am not sure I would want to be at the height of the season. Good luck for your last week's. Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jo, thanks so much for the lovely message and good luck wishes! All the positive vibes from you, Graeme and your mum have certainly helped as I passed my practicals and now have only the final FGASA theory exam to go - phew! And congratulations on the prize you won for that absolutely gorgeous picture you took in Namibia! Well done - that must feel so awesome to be recognised for doing something you love. Hope to meet you at the Tsitsikamma walk. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jill, yep I really didn't think (until the very last minute actually) that I would go through with it, but when one of my fellow students made the comment "it's just cereal" and it made me realise that it's really just a bunch of twigs and leaves, it made me feel a bit better about it. Yes, I really would like to gain some work experience beginning of next year - I think once we finish our FGASA Level 1 qualification, lots of doors will (hopefully) start opening! One thing I definitely want to do is a Marine Guiding course next year July in KZN. Glad you enjoyed your stay at Sanparks, Wilderness is such a gorgeous area :)

    ReplyDelete