16 Nov 2014

Week 7 at Ulovane

After yet another 8am exam (on reptiles and birds) we start focussing on our practical drives this week. The first mock exam drives are in just over a week (starting with me!) and we all want to at least another 1 or 2 drives in with the students here before we have to do a "full guided experience" with the public and of course our assessors. In addition, this week we have the monster of theory week covering ecology, ethology (animal behaviour) and mammals which is huge! We have a wonderful informative drive with Schalk in the afternoon and are rewarded by seeing some wonderful mammals: 2 gemsbok and their baby, a rhino with her baby, a lioness and 2 elephants playing in the river (I was able to capture 5 minutes on video!)



 
 
By mid week people are feeling a little overwhelmed with all the work that has to be done before finals and we are surprised with a 2 day break in Port Alfred! In true Ulovane style we are given 30 mins to pack, bundled into a game viewer and after a few hectic minutes of push starting Heidi's car we are speeding down the highway with the wind blowing a gale through the open game viewer! We arrive safely (and partly frozen) in Port Alfred and settle into awesome beachfront cabanas before heading to the local pub/Italian/steakhouse for a few beers and some wood fired pizza - heavenly! Dessert of Dom Pedro's finish off the night and a bit more drinking and dancing on the sofas back home makes for a good night :) The rest of our time consists of lots of beach walking and 2 hours of glorious beach galloping at Beachcombers Horse trails with Johno - best horse riding I've ever done! We arrive back at camp armed with shopping bags full of goodies from Pick & Pay and we have to hunker down for 2 days of stormy weather, lots of practical driving sessions and lots & lots of very interesting information about animals and their behaviour!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like your break came at just the right time! The horse riding looks fantastic. I'm sending you lots of positive vibes for your practical. I know you'll be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I love those elephants playing in the water!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the practicals. I don't know how your brain can possibly retain the amount of information it has been given over the last few weeks. There is something magical about elephants and my other favourite - warthogs. Hope you get to Addo Elephant Park one day as it is also a very special place. Best wishes, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, sorry I only just realised that I've been sending replies to the comments on my phone and none of them went through! It's my first time writing a blog so still a bit of trial and error! Thanks so much for your good luck wishes and between you and Graeme sending me positive vibes my first round of practical drive and interviews went really well :) There is obviously always room for improvement and I will focus on that this week before I do it all again next week! I was blessed with a glorious sunshine day and it's actually very exciting being in control of that big game viewer and doing "my own thing" on the drive :)

    ReplyDelete