8 Feb 2015

Drakensberg, Lesotho and first week of yoga teacher training

The baz bus (a backpackers bus that travels all over SA) worked really well and soon I was dropped off at the Amphitheatre backpackers lodge which is just gorgeous! I settled in the afternoon and spent my time exploring the lodge (with swimming pool, pool table, bar, Jacuzzi, steam room, two upstairs libraries/chill rooms, great dorm rooms and huge outside lawn area). I also went on a long hike towards the lake (and saw lots of beautiful birds) whilst a spectacular thunderstorm was brewing. After my 3 course backpacker special dinner, I settled into the dorm room but was unfortunately woken at 2am when 3 new young guys arrived and again at 5am when they had to leave on their tour! Oh well, that is what you get when you sleep in a dorm room I guess ;o)



Next morning early we departed on our tour to Lesotho for the day which was wonderful and very informative. I've never gotten through a border post so quickly and the scenery on the way and in the country is just spectacular! The way of life is very primitive and we spent time talking to a teacher at the local school, a witch doctor, saw some san rock art and tasted the local grub and brew before driving the challenging roads back.


 
Sunday lunchtime I get the next baz bus the rest of the way to Pietermaritzburg where I'm collected by Jennifer and Lee Fitzsimmons (Fleur is already in the car as well) to make our way to their beautiful farm in the sugar cane fields. It is a spectacular location and we settle in after dinner as we start the next morning  with our first yoga lesson at 6am! We quickly settle into the week routine: 3 yoga sessions per day: typically 1 at 6am, the next at either the café in Eston where Jen teaches or the school at Richmond; then back home for some theory lessons, then Fleur and I usually go for a long walk with the dogs (Asia, Saber and Sadie) among the sugar cane fields and then at 5pm another yoga lesson (this time in our gorgeous yoga room where locals from the farms around come to join us).
 
 
I was also very excited to learn that there are a pair of fish eagles that hang out around the lake on the property and was lucky to get really close to them on one of our walks.
 
 
Jen and Lee absolutely spoil us with delicious and nutritious meals and on Friday we get to do our yoga session on the beach in Amanzimtoti and on Saturday we went to the Hillview farmers markets which was wonderful. The yoga so far is just amazing; I didn't really realise that (contrary to what I've done in Australia) the most crucial part and also the backbone of yoga is deep breathing and meditation. Some of the yoga sessions we do are practically only deep breathing, chanting and yoga nidra (meditation and visualisation). I can already feel the difference in my body and apart from being sore almost everywhere, I'm starting to feel really really relaxed :)
 
So far this week we have covered the philosophy and science of yoga, anatomy and physiology of the physical body and then of the non physical or energy body including the 7 major chakras or energy centres from root to crown which we also have to do our first assignment on this weekend.
 
Hariom - peace be with you :) 

1 comment: